Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Rebasing and Retouches - Wargames Factory Vikings

The first plastic figures I bought were the Wargames Factory Vikings and Saxons, probably five or six years ago.  I realize the reputation those figures have, and deservedly so. Getting a good pose is difficult, hands have hitchhiker thumbs and many of the fine details are muddy and indistinct.


That being said, they can be an efficient way to fill out large warbands. Plus, their sprues contain many arm and weapon options that should find a place in your "bit box" for future conversions.

I originally based them on thick card and rather poorly at that. I decided to rebase them on square and round bases, mostly with snow and winter grass.  The plan is to build a snow scene for an Icelandic feud scenario.

Before rebasing and highlighting
A test figure came apart when I stripped it with Simple Green. It was easily rebuilt, but I didn't want to invest the time into completely re-doing cheap plastics. I decided to just apply some washes and highlights as well as redoing shields.





Until some better plastics are made, the Wargames Factory are the only option for cheap Dark Age archers. 




Below, some good examples of the unique options available. On the left, a warrior with a small Axe held inside the shield, a practice attested to in some of the sagas. The javelin thrower and stone hurler can fill out the skirmishers.



There's a lot of reasons to avoid these figures with better options now available. On the other hand, some of them painted up rather nicely, and I am glad to have the extra heads, arms and weapons. And, I think most agree that the company's figures have improved quite a bit since the early days.  I am eager to buy their AWI Continental Infantry and Woodland Indians.   

2 comments:

  1. I think they've come up very nicely for what they are. They're a good way to save a bit of money. Cheers, Paul :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basic painting, but impressive shields. All in all they are nice minis.

    ReplyDelete